The convent of San Clemente is a piece of the towns's history. On the one hand, it contains the memories of important events in the Arab world and, on the other, the history and art of the town.
On 23 November 1248, during the Festival of San Clemente, after conquering Seville, King Fernando III the Saint entered the town. In commemoration of this event, the Royal Monastery of San Clemente, of the Cistercian order, was founded. But the first certain news about the Monastery of San Clemente being formed by a religious community, leaded by an abbess, is from 1284.
The monastery experienced dark periods during the French invasion and subsequent economic problems, from which it managed to survive to become a place for artists. History of more than seven centuries, throughout which the monastery has gone through very different phases.
Among its many works of art, it mus tbe noted the spectacular main altarpiece, being structured in two bodies, three passages, a double attic and a bench; the altarpiece of San Juan Evangelista, where the Baptist exhibits the aesthetic and iconographic keys of Sevillian Mannerism; the Virgin of the Kings, which follows the model of the one preserved in the Royal Chapel of the Cathedral, and which has been dated to the end of the 13th century while the Child is a work from the 18th century; and the carpentry roof, formed by five panels decorated with a dense network of lace in the traditional Mudejar style.
The monastery also stands out for the various confectionery products made by the sisters in their workshop. In addition, they offer a monastic hospice service, a suitable place to spend a few days of prayer and retreat.