It is known as St. John of God because it belongs to the hospital of this hospitable Order. The baroque façade of this 16th century church, right opposite the Divino Salvador College, with its two bell towers, which had to be renovated after the Lisbon earthquake by Matías de Figueroa, hides a delicious interior. Inside, baroque altarpieces coexist with rococo and neoclassical ones, on altar tables with varied and surprising decorations and colours rediscovered after restoration. The main altarpiece, with the Virgin of Peace, a candlestick image from 1571 with many later interventions, is still to be treated.
This church is full of history, with interesting paintings from the Zurbaran school. It has been declared a Site of Cultural Interest since 1982.