La Puebla de Cazalla had several shrines in the 19th century. Shrines were usually built on the outskirts of towns, near the main access roads. They survived thanks to donations from the faithful and devotees of the saints to whom the shrines were dedicated. Most of these buildings were built by Confraternities to worship their titular images and, frequently, a charity hospital was erected next to them.
The Shrine to San José was built in its current location in the early 18th century by an unknown architect. However, it is argued that it was built by local master craftsmen. Several images, altarpieces and ornaments from the derelict shrine to Santa Ana were transferred to this one in the middle of that century (1745).
In the 19th century, the shrine was used as parish church while the Church of Our Lady of Virtues and the Convent of Our Lady of Candles were being renovated. In the mid-19th century, Valentina Cañete, an affluent and very devout woman from San José, donated a substantial part of her wealth for the reconstruction of the temple and acquisition of liturgical items.
Of the many images in the shrine, only one has artistic value: the small 17th century crucified image, the Christ of Love, sculpted in polychrome wood. It is situated opposite the main entrance. The main chapel of the shrine is also home to the images of Our Lady of Consolation (second half of the 18th century) and Saint Francis of Paola (19th century).