Santiponce Itálica


An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Misericordia Charity Hospital


According to documentary evidence, the Charity Hospital was built in the late 15th century (1496) and has been renovated several times until the 18th century. It belonged to the former Confraternity of Holy Mercy who established themselves in the town in 1494. They would later merge with the Confraternity of Holy Charity of Our Lord Jesus Christ and Our Lady of Mercy.

All that remains is the single-nave chapel covered by a wooden coffered ceiling. Although the brick portal is not the original one, it maintains the Mudejar-style. The old bell gable in Cataño Street has been preserved. A wrought-iron cross has been added after the last restoration.

The chapel is currently an exhibition hall at Lebrija’s Town Hall.


New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.