Santiponce Itálica

Heritage

An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Nuestra Señora de la Aurora Chapel

102
0

The Chapel of the Our Lady of Dawn houses the titular images of the Venerable Confraternity and Brotherhood of Our Father Jesus of Humility, Our Lady of Victory, Our Lady of Dawn and Saint John the Evangelist.

The baroque-style building was finished in 1717, the year that appears on the portal. The bell gable is located on a former wall of the brick portal, at the west end of the nave. The façade has four pilasters. The entranceway, situated between the two central pilasters, is crowned by a broken pediment. Two ceramic altarpieces of “Our Lady of Victory” and the “Christ of Humility” have been recently installed between the two side pilasters. Above the door, in the second level, is a niche with a polychrome clay sculpture of the “Immaculate Conception”, flanked by pilasters and oculi, crowned by a curved pediment with a cross. The façade is topped with three pinnacles.

The rectangular church has a single square nave that is accessed through a large semi-circular arch. The nave is covered with a coffered ceiling from the time of the chapel’s construction. The main altarpiece has a sculpture of “Our Lady of Dawn”. There are also other statues, including “Saint Anthony”, “Saint Michael”, “Saint Martin”, “Our Lady of Victory” (18th century) and the “Christ of Humility” (modern image).

0 comments

New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.