In the 16th and 17th centuries, Cazalla de la Sierra was a nationally important wine-producing centre, and during that period various monastic orders were founded, including the Augustinian order, which founded the San Agustín monastery in the town in 1588 in a chapel called Nuestra Señora de la Soledad. The church, probably renovated in the 18th century, clearly demonstrates the elegance and austerity of the buildings of the Sierra. The building became private property in 1936 and was converted into an anisette factory, a use that continued until the end of the last century.
The outstanding feature is the belfry of the old church, made of brick and decorated with tiled spheres in the typical style of construction of the first third of the 17th century. The central part, cloister and monastery are currently the headquarters of the Cazalla de la Sierra Town Council.