This is a multi-purpose complex designed by the architect Aurelio Gómez Millán in 1940, which has a wide range of uses (devotional, educational, funerary and recreational), originally conceived by Cardinal Pedro Segura Sáenz.
The complex consists of two large spaces, a large porticoed square overlooking the Guadalquivir and some gardens through which the slope of the Aljarafe can be climbed. The Chapel of El Cristo del Perdón (1947), the Church and Convent of Las Salesas (1945-50), the Salesian Schools (1948), the Betania Garden with the hostelry and the bookstore (1946), the exercise house in the former Monastery of the Minim Friars (1942-1943) and the Crypt with the votive chapel (1949) were built around the square, which has outstanding panoramic views of the river and the city of Seville.
In the centre of the square, a monument dedicated to the Sagrado Corazón de Jesús was built. It is a tower of exposed brick, with neo-Mudejar and Baroque details, crowned by an 8-meter-high statue, designed by José Lafita Díaz and made in white marble by the marble workers of Antonio Suárez Torres and his son José Suarez Corcoles. The tower with the sculpture measures a total of 41 metres.
The gardens, on the other hand, occupy the slope of the hill and are designed in a distinctly scenic style. The access portico, located in the lower quarter of San Juan de Aznalfarache, where there is an Arc de Triomphe dedicated to the Corazón de María, gives on to a series of garden terraces joined by staircases and steep paths, which ascend to the entrance of the large porticoed square, at the top of the Aljarafe.