The earliest documentary references date back to 1556. Already then, Espartinas’ Asunción Parish Church had close ties with the San Bartolomé Parish Church, located at Paternilla de los Judíos, a small town that existed between Espartinas and Villanueva del Ariscal.
The Nuestra Señora de la Asunción Church is a temple with three naves with semi-circular arches supported by pillars. The chapel in the apse is flanked by the chapel of Our Lady of Consolation (right) and the Sacristy (left).
The most striking architectural element of the parish church is its graceful bell tower, which can be seen from afar revealing the location of the temple. The bell tower, which has a very classical design, consists of a simple semi-circular opening between two pilasters.
Other highlights include the high altar in the presbytery, which contains paintings in golden frames and the image of the Virgen de la Asunción, patron saint of Espartinas, in the centre. There is another altarpiece in the sacramental chapel that housed the image of the Virgen de los Dolores. The Cristo de la Sangre is worshipped in the Tabernacle. There are three additional altars in the side naves. Noteworthy is the life-size image of the Virgen del Rosario and the wooden coffered ceiling that covers the central nave.