Santiponce Itálica

Heritage

An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Santa María la Blanca Parish Church

234
0

The church was built in the 15th century by the Ducal House of Arcos, the Lord of the town of Los Palacios, who had great devotion to the Lady of the Snows, patron saint of the village.

The baroque-style church has neoclassical elements. The organ, built by Francisco Ortíguez in 1747, is worthy of note. The most outstanding feature of the parish church is the main altarpiece, from the 17th century, more specifically 1631-36. Although the original altarpiece was likely altered in 1712, and ultimately rebuilt in 1865.

The most representative images housed in this temple are:

  • Our Most Holy Lady of the Snows. This image is not only the Honorary and Perpetual Mayoress of the town, but also has one of only two gold medals that have been awarded by the City Council.
  • Our Lady of the Rosary. This 18th century bust with excellent polychrome.
  • Holy Christ of Health. A Crucified Christ from the late 16th century, slightly smaller than a life-size statue.
  • Saint Joseph. Wooden image from the Sevillian baroque school of the first half of the 18th century.

0 comments

New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.