This is the most central fountain in Los Palacios and Villafranca. It is also the most symbolic, as it depicts a bronze scene representing the union in 1836 of two different villages separated by a stream: Villafranca de la Marisma, which sought to emancipate from the Dukes of Arcos in the 17th century, and Los Palacios, owned by this same gentry.
Some 179 years ago, the two localities decided to become one. Since then, the coat of arms of this dual village has been La Unión. That is precisely the name given to this fountain located at the crossroads that is commonly known as Los Cuatro Vientos (The Four Winds).
The fountain was unveiled on 4 January 1998. The sculptor from Salteras, José Manuel Díaz Benítez, created the composition shown in the fountain, which also bears the town’s coat of arms.