Santiponce Itálica


An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Nuestra Señora de la Asunción Church


This church, consisting of a nave and two aisles, was completed in 1510 in a simple Gothic style with a few Mudéjar elements. Three chapels were added later in the 16th and 17th centuries. The entire church is vaulted. The underground passages that run the length of the church converge on an underground crypt that might have been a Christian refuge during the Moorish rule. There are two doorways, one on the side and the other at the west front. A terrace decorated with two 16th-century Renaissance lions was added to the pointed arched portal of the latter.

The church is home to a significant number of artworks, including the main altarpiece presided over by an 18th-century image of Our Lady of the Assumption, to whom the church is dedicated. The Sanctuary has a painting depicting the Adoration of the Magi attributed to Peter Paul Rubens or his workshop. The chapel of Our Lady of Antigua is decorated with the coat-of-arms of the Guzmán family, the patrons of this chapel. It is dominated by an altarpiece with a painting of this Virgin Mary by a Sevillian painter. In the right aisle is a 16th-century statue of Our Lady of the Rosary, to whom the Guzmán family were particularly devoted, together with another of Saint Dominic –a member of the Guzmán family– receiving the rosary from the hands of the Virgin Mary from the 17th century. 

This building was allegedly a defensive structure; therefore, it did not have a tiled roof, and its vaulted structure was visible. Tombs and human remains have been found both under and outside the church.


New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.