The church was built taking advantage of most of the mosque that existed before the conquest of Guadalcanal by the Order of Santiago. It can be considered the oldest in Guadalcanal, as it was blessed as a Christian church by the bishop of Coria, Jaime Sanguineto, who came in the company of the Great Master Rodrigo de Iñiguez, in April 1241.
In the 15th and 16th centuries some substantial changes took place.
It was declared a National Historic-Artistic Monument in 1979.
Currently it is the "Santa Ana" Interpretation and Resource Centre of Sierra Morena.