This Priory Church is the epitome of Carmona’s religious architecture and the town’s largest building.
The earlier Almohad mosque was demolished in 1424 to build the Christian temple, the first phase of which was completed in 1518. The ablutions courtyard remains.
The Patio de los Naranjos is the oldest section of the temple, enclosed by the building’s west wall. Two sides of the courtyard feature a colonnade gallery.
The importance of this architectural complex lies in the Christian temple, which is based on late-Gothic aesthetics typical in Andalusia. This massive hall church has three naves and several chapels situated between the lateral buttresses. The construction was carried out in two phases during the 15th and 16th centuries. In the first phase was completed with the choir. The Spanish architect Diego de Riaño played a vital role in the second phase. The baroque Puerta del Sol and Sacramental Chapel have been preserved. The works on the tower began in the 16th century and were completed in the 19th. The second level of the central nave has cuspated Gothic stained-glass windows that let in light into the building. The capital and the church clock were donated by Carlota Quintana.
The tower is located at the foot of the church, occupying a space between the Patio de los Naranjos and the baptismal chapel located in the Gospel nave.
The visit to the permanent collection is included in the visit to the Santa María Priory Church. This exhibition features more than 150 artefacts, including gold and silverwork, embroidery, books, paintings, and sculptures from different periods that left their imprint on the parish church over eight centuries.
Declared an Asset of Cultural Interest in 1931 (Official Gazette of 4 June 1931)