The Casa de Pilatos, declared a National Monument in 1931, is the most notable example of 16th-century Sevillian palatial architecture. Its construction was initiated by Pedro Enríquez, Adelantado Mayor de Andalucía, and his wife Catalina de Ribera. His son, Fadrique Enríquez de Ribera, extended the palace until his death in 1539. Its definitive appearance is due to his successor, Per Afán de Ribera, viceroy of Naples, who bequeathed a large part of the archaeological collection kept in the palace. Its name alludes to the journey that Fadrique made to Jerusalem in 1519. On his return, he set up the Stations of the Cross from his home, with the first station being the trial of Jesus in the house of Pontius Pilate.
The Casa de Pilatos harmonises different styles in a complex of buildings around its courtyards and gardens. The central courtyard is great with its irregularly shaped arches decorated with exuberant Mudejar plasterwork. At the corners there are two Pallas Athena, Roman copies of Greek originals. On the tour you can enjoy the valuable and varied coffered ceilings, plasterwork, tiles, paintings and sculptures, all of which are part of the city's past splendour.
Halls: Praetorium Hall (180 people), Pilate's Cabinet (80 people), Main Courtyard (700 people), Loggia of the Small Garden (200 people), Apeadero Courtyard (400 people), Golden Hall (60 people), Judges' Resting Room (140 people), Columns Hall (60 people), Stables (300 people), Cabinet and Hall of the III Duke of Alcalá (200 people)