Santiponce Itálica

Heritage

An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

San Sebastian Church and Vera Cruz Charpel

152
1

A 16th-century building, originally located on the outskirts of the city, and built on what could have been the Shrine to San Sebastian. Based on its floor plan, the building was likely Mudejar. It has always been closely tied to the Confraternity of the Vera-Cruz. During the 18th century, it was declared in ruins. After its reconstruction, according to customary practice at that time, a Hospital for the poor was built next to the chapel. In 1875, the municipal cemetery was built next to the church. It was later integrated into the church, until the new one was built.

It consists of three naves (the original building had one). The central nave has a wooden coffered ceiling and a groin vault on the side naves and presbytery, divided by semi-circular arches supported by octagonal pillars.

The most valuable artworks in the chapel are the titular images of the Confraternity, especially the Cristo de la Vera-Cruz (16th century) made of paper-mâché. According to tradition, it was brought from the American continent, given its similarity with others made in the Michoacan-style (Mexico). It has some Gothic and Renaissance reminiscence.

The chapel also houses the image of Nuestro Señor del Mayor Dolor, an anonymous statue attributed to Roldana; and a 16th-century San Sebastian in the main altarpiece.

0 comments

New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.