In 1400, the Archbishop of Seville gifted the friars of the Third Order of Saint Francis the Parish Church of San Juan de Aznalfarache, which owned the Shrine to Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception at Real Street in Castilleja de la Cuesta. At that time, and until 1634, Castilleja de la Cuesta was governed by the neighbouring town of Tomares. This shrine was converted into a parish church in 1615.
Extensive renovation works were carried out in the mid-18th century (1752) and in the first half of the 19th century (1834). Its main front façade acquired its current appearance with the addition of a bell gable in the early 20th century.
The single-nave church has a chancel covered by a sail vault and a gabled roof crowned by a bell gable. There are three side chapels: the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament, the Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows and a baptismal chapel.
Its baroque main altarpiece (1702), presided over by an image of the Immaculate Conception, was brought from the now-extinct convent of the Minims nuns at Seville’s Sierpes Street.
The magnificent Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament, splendidly decorated with tiles, houses the image of Jesus of the Great Power. This sculpture and that of Our Lady of Sorrows, in the adjacent chapel, are the titular images of the Confraternity of Calle Real, which goes in procession on Good Friday and Easter Sunday.
Other highlights include the images of the Christ of the True Cross, Our Lady of El Rocío, Saint Joseph, Saint John of Prado and Saint Clare, along with the paintings that grace its walls, some by Juan de Roelas from the 17th century.