Santiponce Itálica

Heritage

An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Nuestra Señora de la Estrella Church

113
1

The tombstone of Gonzalo de Vaena (1591) is the oldest dated record of this church.

The church underwent renovation works in 1755 to repair the damage caused by the Lisbon earthquake of that same year. The works were resumed in 1772 and 1778, giving the church its current appearance.

The Nuestra Señora de la Estrella Church is a small building, albeit with enormous value. It has a nave and two aisles, with a gabled roof, bell tower and two entrances, which is fairly common in modest rural parish churches. The church in Palomares del Río is of Mudéjar origin, as can be seen in the lower level of the bell tower.

The nave and aisles are covered by wooden coffered ceilings. The nave, covered by a half-barrel vault leads to the sanctuary that holds the main altarpiece. Both sides of the nave are decorated with pointed arches. The aisles are separated from the nave by an arcade of stilted arches on marble columns with Doric and Corinthian capitals.

The main altarpiece is dedicated to Our Lady of the Star, after whom the church is named. It dates from the late 17th and early 18th centuries.

The exterior of the church shows late baroque features, given that the church’s appearance was determined during the 18th-century renovation works.

0 comments

New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.