This is the oldest church in Sanlúcar. It is located at one end of the town, in front of the escarpment overlooking the River Guadiamar, and its imposing structure can be seen from a long way off. Architecturally, it stands out for its gabled roofs that contrast with the crenellated Gothic sanctuary, the most striking feature being the free-standing tower topped by a spire.
The 14th century church is in the Mudejar style with a basilica floor plan and a polygonal sanctuary. It has three naves divided into three sections, separated by pointed arches supported by cruciform columns, with small windows with blind horseshoe arches in the spandrels. The central nave is roofed with a wooden structure, while the lateral naves have flat single-pitch roofs.
The chancel is much higher than the rest of the church, due to the fact that below it there was a passageway (today a house) that led to the cemetery. The main chapel has a polygonal floor plan with exterior buttresses and is roofed with a hexagonal vault with Gothic ribbing and severies.
The exterior has three access doors, the main one, located at the foot of the central nave, has undergone much renovation work. It consists of a projecting section of wall in the centre of which there is a lobed semicircular arch doorway framed by an alfiz and topped with a small cornice.
The tower, isolated from the church and located in the centre of the old cemetery, has a square floor plan and three doors, two of which communicate with each other to form a passage under the tower. The tower belonged to the minaret of the old mosque to which a series of additions were made, such as the belfry and the pyramid-shaped spire.
It was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest by the Junta de Andalucía in 1931.