The Church of the Annunciation is one of the most interesting Renaissance buildings in Seville. It was the old church of the Professed House of the Society of Jesus, the foundation of which dates back to 1565. The expulsion of the Society of Jesus in 1767 entailed the abandonment of the convent, to which the University of Seville would move in 1771. The church thus became the chapel of the University until 1956, when it was moved to the Royal Tobacco Factory. The area occupied by the former convent is now the seat of the University School of Fine Arts of the University of Seville.
Designed by the Jesuit Bartolomé de Bustamante and built by Hernán Ruiz, it has a Latin cross floor plan and a beautiful doorway adorned by a Virgin and Baby Jesus. Inside, the high altar by Alonso Matías and the altarpieces of the Inmaculada by John the Baptist "El Mozo" and of Saint John the Baptist, by Juan Martínez Montañés, stand out.
The church has a Latin cross plan with a single wide nave, a choir at the foot and a presbytery raised on five steps. It is supported by pilasters attached to the walls that generate large transverse arches that hold up the vaults. The choir, located high up at the foot of the nave, stands on a large segmental arch, with the choir loft profusely decorated with Baroque plasterwork.
This church is the home of the Brotherhood of the Valley, considered to be one of the most classic Semana Santa churches in Seville.