The Church is actually dedicated to St Peter Martyr. However, since it has traditionally belonged to the Dominican Order, it is commonly known as Santo Domingo. It was part of the Convent founded in 1517 by Rodrigo Ponce de León, Lord of Marchena and Duke of Arcos. The two side chapels were lost, and only the large central nave still exists.
The Presbytery has a beautiful tile plinth from 1638. The plinth has geometric and symbolic motifs, including the coat-of-arms of the Ponce de León family and the Dominican Order. The main entrance at the west end of the nave has a splendid wooden door from 1757 in the narthex.