San Nicolás del Puerto Puente de Piedra

Sevilla enamora

The Church is actually dedicated to St Peter Martyr. However, since it has traditionally belonged to the Dominican Order, it is commonly known as Santo Domingo. It was part of the Convent founded in 1517 by Rodrigo Ponce de León, Lord of Marchena and Duke of Arcos. The two side chapels were lost, and only the large central nave still exists. 

The Santa Florentina Convent is one of the first Dominican convents in Andalusia. The original building and foundations date back to the second half of the sixteenth century. Today, it comprises several buildings from different periods, mostly the 17th and 18th centuries.

The Madre de Dios Convent is located on the street of the same name, next to the former Chapter House in Carmona’s historic centre.  

It appears that the Dominican community was founded in the early 16th century.  In 1520, the building began to take shape and was gradually integrated into the urban fabric of the old medieval quarter. It reached its maximum size in the 17th century. 

Commonly known as the Chapel of Jesus the Nazarene, it was part of the Dominican convent of Saint Bartholomew, funded by Bartolomé López de Marchena. The convent, which was founded in 1542, was dedicated to the care and well-being of the body and spirit. The chapel was built in the 17th century and underwent extensive renovations in the second half of the 18th century.