The Food Market is located in the Plaza de Andalucía, a large square built in the 1950s. Highlights include the poly-lobed fountain with a wrought iron cross and the slender street lamps with tile-covered post bases with the coats of arms of the Andalusian provinces.
Next to the fountain is the Food Market built by Aníbal González in 1910. The building’s rectangular floor plan is predominantly horizontal, and the finishing on the façade is delicately curved. Large windows and multiple openings necessary for its activity predominate.
This is modernist-style building, with an upper section with curved lines reminiscent of the baroque style, characterised by few elements repeated ad infinitum. The building stands alone, without any other buildings attached, to facilitate the movement of goods and proper ventilation.
The main door is decorated with marble columns and a semi-circular lintel and arch. The coat of arms of the town and a Sevillian tile panel of the Sacred Heart of Jesus are mounted inside the arch.
The building has undergone several renovations over time. The one carried out in 1950 is particularly noteworthy. The central nave was fitted with an iron framework in the central nave, and a backdoor was created. In 1967, the exterior plinth of the ground floor was covered with stippled paint as it was in bad repair.
The construction of the Mercado de Abastos brought to an end a large part of Lora’s urban development.