The Plaza or Mercado de Abastos was built in 1934. It follows in the tradition of municipal food markets that existed since the Middle Ages. There is written evidence that butcher and fishmonger’s shops existed since the late Middle Ages. The town council would lease the stalls on an annual basis so people could purchase food.
The central section of the rectangular building is covered by a large glass and iron ridge skylight. This is closely related to the new building materials that would emerge from the Industrial Revolution, such as iron and steel. However, this was an exception in Lebrija. The use of these materials was relatively rare until well into the second half of the 20th century.
On the external façade, surrounding the entrance, are tile panels depicting flower centrepieces, fruits and garlands that match those inside the building. The inside is decorated with fresco paintings, mainly flower, vegetable and fruit garlands.
Women are the real protagonists of this market. Indeed, it is commonly known as the “Plaza de las Mujeres”, as woman have traditionally taken care of gone shopping and, in general, taken care of the domestic economy. She would buy at the stalls whatever she needed for the daily basket.