The Plaza de Abastos, formerly the San Francisco Convent, is located at Osuna’s Plaza Mayor, a few metres from the Casa de la Cultura and Santa Catalina Convent.
The current Plaza de Abastos was installed in the 19th century in the cloisters of the former Madre de Dios Convent that Franciscan friars founded in Osuna in 1531. Later, under the aegis of the Duke, the convent became one of the first Houses of Study in the province in 1551. This building collapsed in 1943, but fortunately, the main altarpiece was saved. The altarpiece was later acquired by the Franciscans of San Buenaventura in Seville.
All that remains is the cloister where the stalls of the Mercado de Abastos, or Food Market, are installed. The sculptures and accoutrements from the San Francisco Convent have been given to different churches in Osuna.