The convent of Santa Isabel was founded in 1490 by Ms Isabel de León and was the headquarters of the Order of Saint John.
The origin of this order dates back to the 11th century, with the foundation of the Order of Malta, when the nuns helped pilgrims and the sick in hospitals.
With the confiscation in 1835, the convent was expropriated and became a women's prison and a reformatory. In 1869 the order of Philip Daughters of Maria Dolorosa was established and, in the convent, a school for children and a spiritual home for women in trouble were set up.
The church was built in 1602 in the Mannerist style by Alonso de Vandelvira. Structured in a single nave with three sections covered by barrel vaults. It has a remarkable group of valuable altarpieces.