Santiponce Itálica

Heritage

An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Convent of Santa Paula

292
0

In the heart of the San Julián district, the belfry of the Santa Paula monastery stands out. In 1473, Pope Sixtus IV granted the foundational papal bull of the monastery to Ana de Santillán y Guzmán, a woman who entered San Juan de la Palma after being widowed. At this retrea, she thought about the idea of creating a cloistered monument for the Hieronymite Order. Later, in 1475, the church was blessed and, in 1483, Ms Isabel Enriquez, widow of the Count of Portugal, promoted the building of the current convent church.

It houses the only museum in a Sevillian cloister with unique items from the Sevillian Baroque period and from other parts of the world. It must also be noted the trousseaus of the women who entered there, some altarpieces with elements by Montañés, Mesa and Medinilla, as well as paintings by José de Ribera and Morales. The enclosure area has two cloisters connected by an archway with four openings on paired columns and semicircular arches.

The church dates from the 15th century and is made in Gothic-Mudejar style, the most notable features being the ceiling of the presbytery and the nave covered by a wooden coffered ceiling with Mudejar elements. The main baroque altarpiece is crowned by a sculpture of Santa Paula carved by José Fernando de Medinilla in 1730. 

The tombs of the Marquises of Montemayor and 18th century paintings illustrating the life of Santa Paula are located on the sides of the presbytery. It is also worth mentioning the altarpiece of San Juan Bautista and that of Santo Cristo, both by Felipe de Ribas and that of the Virgin of the Rosary.

It is one of the most accessible monasteries, open to the public for the sale of exquisite products made by the nuns such as jams and jellies or quince, among other items.

0 comments

New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.