Santiponce Itálica

Heritage

An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Shrine to Santa Ana

96
0

The Shrine to Santa Ana is located on the outskirts of Osuna. It was initially a convent founded in the first half of the 16th century by Maria de la Cueva, the wife of the 4th Count of Ureña, and run by the Poor Clare sisters. The nuns moved to their monastery on La Huerta Street in 1599 given that the Shrine was in an uninhabited place. The Shrine was later inhabited by the Mercedarians until the 17th century. They abandoned it in 1623 to live within the town walls.

Following decades of abandonment, Luis de Figueroa Silva y Fernández de las Casas decided to rebuild the Shrine in 1746 as a pantheon. The image of Saint Anne was brought to the Shrine that same year. The pantheon of the Count of Puertohermoso and the tomb of the priest Luis de Soto Torres-Lineros, protector of the Collegiate Church, are also in the Shrine.

The Shrine to Santa Ana has an atrium with a simple 18thcentury portal with pilasters crowned by pinnacles flanking a lintelled opening. The single-nave temple has a rectangular plan divided into four sections and a square main chapel. The nave is covered by barrel vaults with barrel arches and false lunettes, and the presbytery with a dome. The plaster ornaments are noteworthy. There are three altars inside the temple. One is dedicated to the titular image, Saint Anne, and the other two side altars hold the images of Saint Michael and Saint Joachim.

At present, the Shrine is abandoned and very deteriorated. It is not open to visits.

0 comments

New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.