Santiponce Itálica

Heritage

An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Shrine to our Lady of Valme

155
2

The Dukes of Montepensier commissioned the reconstruction of this Mudejar style building in 1859 according to the design of the architect Balbino Marrón. It consists of a single nave with an 18th-century baroque high altar and a painting Saint Ferdinand in front of the Virgin Mary by Luis de Oñate. Although the Shrine is located at the Cortijo de Cuarto in Seville, it belongs to the municipality of Dos Hermanas, as does the grounds on which it stands. This was agreed with Bellavista when this area was integrated into Seville in 1937. The Confraternity of Nuestra Señora de Valme approved its renovated Statutes on 7 August 1866, assuming the responsibility for the maintenance of the Shrine. The tradition, rarely interrupted, of the Pilgrimage of Valme began in 1894. The image of Our Lady of Valme is transferred to the Shrine at Cortijo de Cuarto on the third Sunday of October, accompanied by thousands of devotees from the town and other places in Andalusia. The Pilgrimage of Valme was declared a Feast of Tourist Interest in 1976. Our Lady of Valme was canonically crowned on 23 June 1973 with highest Spanish authorities in attendance. The monument at Menéndez Pelayo Square was unveiled as part of the commemorative events of this ceremony.

0 comments

New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.