Santiponce Itálica

Heritage

An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Convent of the Sisters of the Cross (Capuchin monastery)

109
0

The building belonged to the Capuchin Fathers until the exclaustration and was taken over by the Order of the Sisters of the Cross in 1924.

The church has only one nave and is accessed from the street through a small garden, where the main doorway is located. The church has a Latin cross floor plan and consists of a nave with side chapels and a transept. The central nave is roofed with a barrel vault with lunettes, the chapel with ribbed vaults, and the transept with a hemispherical dome on pendentives.

The gateway to the garden is made of brick and is a large lintelled span flanked by pillars with pendants, above which is the frieze made of tiles with the date the gateway, 1758. 

Beyond the garden, the entrance to the church, also made of brick, is very simple, with a semicircular niche with a marble sculpture of the Virgin Mary standing out over a lintelled doorway. A belfry with an arcade and a bell, crowned by a triangular pediment, completes the ensemble.

0 comments

New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.