Santiponce Itálica

Heritage

An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Chapel of Nuestra Señora del Pilar

53
3

This is a chapel dedicated to the veneration of the Virgen del Pilar in the town of Valencina de la Concepción. It was inaugurated on 12 October 1940, coinciding with her feast day.

It is a small 7.84 m2 building with a hexagonal floor plan, whose corners have pilasters that serve as support for the pointed vault that roofs the building. It is worth mentioning that both the vault and the ends of the pilasters have been decorated with Triana type tiles.

Inside, in a niche, there is a 34 cm high 14th-century terracotta image of the Virgen del Pilar, from the Florentine School. This image used to be placed on a brick pillar at a crossroads in another part of the town.

The image is venerated in the month of October. It is taken to the Parish Church of Nuestra Señora de la Estrella and returned in a procession on the Virgin’s feast day, which is also celebrated in the same month.

0 comments

New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.