Santiponce Itálica

Heritage

An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Aldea del Álamo and its Shrine

141
0

Located in the municipality of El Madroño, El Álamo has 86 inhabitants. The village is in the northwest of the province of Seville, on the foothills of the Sierra de Aracena. 

The first settlements sprang up due to the proximity of major trade routes in the Modern Age, including the Aznalcóllar-Zalamea Road and the Camino de los Camellos (a livestock trail from the east to Aracena). Both El Madroño and El Castillo de las Guardas belonged to the Crown until 1651, and under the jurisdiction of Seville. It was not until 1921 that El Madroño became an independent town. The village of El Álamo is mentioned in the archives of El Castillo de las Guardas as a livestock shelter and grazing land in the 18th century. A tile found in the Shrine confirms that the first chapel with a cross was built in 1874.

Its main monument is the Shrine to the Holy Cross, where the Festival of the Crosses takes place during the first weekend in August.

0 comments

New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.