Alcalá de Guadaíra’s Santa Clara Cloistered Convent, founded in 1597, is located at 39 Alcalá y Ortí Street. It appears that the convent was first occupied in the 16th century when it was under the Order of the Poor Ladies of Saint Clare, commonly known as the Poor Clares.
The Convent became very famous in 1737 when the procession of Sister Mary of Jesus took place.
The Jubilee Year celebrations in honour of Saint Clare began on Palm Sunday 2011 and concluded on 23 September 2012.
Nowadays, the nuns make confectionery products, such as the well-known suspiros, corazones and bocaditos.
There products are highly valued at the Conventual Confectionery Exhibition held every year in early December in Seville.