This Mudejar-style Parish Church was renovated in the late 18th century and the mid-20th century. It is located in the centre of the town, very close to the castle.
The Church owes its name to the town’s patron saint, Saint Martha.
The façade of the Plaza de Andalucía dates back to the latter half of the 20th century. The building typifies Andalusian rationalist architecture. The ensemble comprised of the Town Hall, Plaza de Andalucía, Marchena, Victoria and Sevilla streets, and the Plaza del Cabildo is the real nerve centre and one of the town’s most beautiful cityscapes.
The construction of the chapel began around 1732. By 1746 it had been roofed and blessed and masses were celebrated there, and it was finally completed in 1749 with the addition of a belfry with two bells, formerly known in the town as La Gorda (Fat Lady) and La Chica (Little Girl). The construction of the chapel was financed by donations from the inhabitants of Herrera.
This is an early 15th century Gothic-Mudejar church with a rectangular floor plan and a polygonal apse reinforced by buttresses.
It has three naves separated by pointed arches supported by columns, the body of the church having a gabled wooden roof over the central nave and a single pitch on the sides, while the sanctuary has a ribbed Gothic vault.
This 220-square metre contemporary building (2009-2014), which can accommodate about 60 people, is used for the Pilgrimage of the Divina Pastora.
La Carlina has a romantic history.
The original church dating from the late 16th century was renovated in the 17th and 18th centuries, giving it its current style and appearance. The tower was also built in the 18th century.