Santiponce Itálica

Heritage

An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Santa María la Blanca Parish Church

603
3

Its construction began in the late 16th century, under the direction of Diego López de Arenas. Following the 1755 Lisbon earthquake, which severely damaged the building, the master-builder Alonso Ruiz Florindo renovated the entire complex. The most eye-catching feature of its main portal is the recessed stretcher bond brickwork. Notable also is the tower’s decorative elements based on columns and polychrome tiles, clearly in line with the architectural style typical of Ecija. It is an excellent example of typical Andalusian architecture, bringing together the different cultures and civilisations that passed through Andalusia. 

It is listed as an Asset of Cultural Interest.

0 comments

New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.