Like other parishes in Seville, its origin dates back to the Reconquest of the town. It is located on the same site as a Roman temple, on which a Visigothic church and later a mosque were built. It is a Gothic-Mudejar type of church, although it was modified during the 17th and 18th centuries. A National Monument since 1912 and a Site of Cultural Interest since 1985, it was closed for worship in 2004. Since then, a series of actions have been undertaken to restore it completely.