Romerías

Seville enchants

The chapel is a building of Mudejar origin. Built in the 15th century, it is Mudejar in style and has a single nave. Its interior is a beautiful example of popular Mudejar architecture with a characteristic wooden roof with an image of San Diego, built by Castillo Lastrucci in the 20th century. The end façade is from the first quarter of the 16th century.

The ancient 14th century shrine was built in the municipality of Azuaga and Enrique Infante de Aragón, Grand Master of the Order of Santiago, ceded part of the municipality of Azuaga to Guadalcanal on 10 April 1428.

The Monastery is located on a privately-owned estate, a few kilometres from the town on the road leading to Malcocinado. This is all that remains of the former Basilio Monastery. The chapel, which is used as a warehouse of the current farmhouse, consists of a single nave divided into two sections, one with a barrel vault and the other with a dome.

The current chapel stands on the same site as the original one, which must have been a modest single-nave Mudejar building, preceded or surrounded by porticoes, and flanked by outbuildings such as the house of the santero and the hostelry, where the people of Cazalla worshipped the Virgen del Monte at least since the mid-sixteenth century. 

The Sanctuary dates back to the early 16th century when Antonio Barrados obtained permission to build a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Consolation. The titular image was gifted by the Nuestra Señora de la Antigua Convent. On 31 March 1561, the chapel was transferred to the congregation of Minimal Fathers. The construction of the convent and church began at that time.

The Sanctuary dates back to the early 16th century when Antonio Barrados obtained permission to build a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Consolation. The titular image was gifted by the Nuestra Señora de la Antigua Convent. On 31 March 1561, the chapel was transferred to the Congregation of Minimal Fathers. The construction of the convent and church began at that time.