Santiponce Itálica

Heritage

An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Lope de Vega Theatre

70
0

Built for the Ibero-American Exhibition of 1929, together with the Casino, the Lope de Vega Theatre formed the Pavilion of Seville. The Lope de Vega Theatre remains, to this day, one of the most emblematic places of culture and heritage of the city of Seville.

On April 11th, 1936 it became the Lope de Vega Municipal Theatre, leaving its former name, Teatro de la Exposición (Exhibition Theatre), behind. From 1960 the theatre will gain some importance due to the push given to it by independent companies such as "Gorca Pequeño Teatro", "Tabanque", etc. Following some needed renovation work, it reopened in 1988, with a concert of the London Philharmonic Orchestra under the baton of Jerzy Maksymiuk and the chords of Haydn's "Symphony No. 7 in F major". Other performances took place in the weeks that followed: Jazz Quartet (with Tete Montoliu), flamenco shows (Moraito Chico, José Mercé, Calixto Sánchez...) and many other artistic performances.

Every season, the Lope de Vega Theatre schedules more than 180 performances and hosts shows by renowned artists, attracting over 100,000 spectators every year: classical and early music concerts (the most prestigious Early Music Festival in Spain), jazz, new age, flamenco, copla...

Capacity
750 people

0 comments

New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.