Santiponce Itálica

Heritage

An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Hermitage of Nuestra Señora de Guía

546
0

The sanctuary of the Virgen de Guía de Castilleja is located on the famous Carambolo hill, a site of great archaeological finds from the Tartessian period, the famous "treasure of Carambolo".

It is located on an old Almohad building from 1100-1200.

In the 16th century it was already called the Hermitage of Nuestra Señora de Guía, because an image of Mary entitled GUÍA appeared next to the walls. Until 1634, the land remained linked to the neighbouring village of Camas.

It was bought by D. Pedro de Guzmán, Count-Duke of Olivares, who later ceded it to Castilleja de la Cuesta.

The hermitage was founded on the road to the Bajo de la Playa and the invocation of the Virgin established there would be that of "Guía de los navegantes (Guide of navigators)"... Today, the Virgen del Carmen is venerated there and she is embarked on her day.

The new chapel dates from 1896
 

0 comments

New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.