Alcalá de Guadaíra

Seville, beautiful and diverse

This Renaissance temple (1556-1588) has Gothic-Mudejar elements. It belonged to the former Encarnación School founded by Luis Cristobal Ponce de León (second Duke of Arcos) and his wife María de Toledo and run by the Jesuit fathers. Only Church and a beautiful cloister remain from the original building.

Built in 1884 by the Algarin brothers, it divided the Castle’s original courtyard in two. 

This roofed courtyard was built around a well with cast-iron columns surrounded by two storeys of houses. The Duke of Medinaceli sold the Castle to the Algarín brothers in the 11th century, who used it as an oil mill. 

The 14th-century Monclova Castle was built over the city of Obulcula. It has belonged to the House of the Dukes of the Infantado since 1837. It is the last remaining embodiment of a secular town centre as defined in the prehistoric, Turdetan and Roman periods, which was not so much a town as a rural hamlet, particularly during the Muslim domination.

This typical baroque manor house is the epitome of local urban architecture in the 18th century. It was built by Alonso Ruiz Florindo, who modernised and improved his father’s style. The façade has a vertical portal with a balcony and viewpoint. However, the entrance is offset to the left, facing straight into San Sebastian Street, which runs perpendicular to Lora Street.

The former Granary is one of the most outstanding civil buildings in Estepa. 

It was built around 1768 by the architect and stonemason Andrés de Zabala from Vizcaya.

The palace comprises several buildings constructed over five centuries. It has been argued that the palace for residential use was built in the 15th century following its donation to Pedro Ponce de León by the City of Mairena.

The Monastery of the Incarnation was built in 1549 as the Charity Hospital of the Incarnation of the Son of God. In 1612, it was occupied by the Jesuits. In 1626, the 4th Duchess of Osuna founded the Monastery on the site of the old charity hospital. The monastery was run by the sisters of the Royal and Military Order of Mercy.