Écija Iglesia de los Descalzos

Seville, beautiful and diverse

Founded in 1289 by King Ferdinand III of Castile, and built next to an old palace belonging to his son, the Infante Frederick of Castile. The convent complex was built between the 16th and 17th centuries.

The church was built around 1620 by order of the Marquises of Estepa. It is of Romanesque origin, with 18th century renovations and additions. The church originally had a Latin cross floor plan, to which the side chapels and the right nave were later added. Inside, it houses 18th century chapels and altarpieces. 

This late 15th-century Mudejar building features some Romanesque elements, such as thick walls.

The transversal arches and side entrance were added in the mid-16th century.

The tower’s bell chamber was built in the Baroque period. The entrance has a modern lintelled porch covered by a groin vault supported by columns.