This emblematic building has been owned by the Seville Provincial Council since the 19th century after a process of confiscation. The complex was built between 1699 and 1731 and is one of the best preserved examples of Baroque in Seville.
The church was declared a National Historic and Artistic Monument by Decree of 2 February 1979 (BOE of 9 April 1979). The temple, dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption, is commonly known as Santa Maria de la Mesa because it stands on a hill.
The Nuestra Señora del Carmen Church was founded in the 18th century on the site of 16th-century Shrine to Cristo de la Sangre. A few Gothic-Mudejar elements from the Shrine still can be seen.
The Marquises of Estepa used the temple’s crypt as their pantheon for many centuries.