Located in Ecija’s historical centre, the “Casa-Museo Hermandad de San Gil” was created when the Sacramental Confraternity and Royal Archconfraternity (1563) found adequate space to carry out their mission and confraternity activities.
The origin of this former hospital institution and later convent, dates from the early fifteenth century.
The church has three naves separated by semi-circular arches on pillars; the central nave is covered by a barrel vault, with groin vaults on the side naves. Although it is mostly a 19th century, neoclassical building, parts of the church are from earlier times. Legend has it that the current structure is built over a Roman palace.