Romerías

Seville enchants

The most outstanding feature of the Sevillian town of El Real de la Jara in terms of architecture at the service of the community is the municipal bullring, for which materials such as 19th century quarry stones were used.

It is the oldest bullring in the province of Seville and is built on the parade ground of a Muslim castle dating from around 1400, with archaeological remains of a wall, minarets and the main door of the town's old Andalusian castle integrated into its interior.

El Castillo de las Guardas’ bullring is located in the town where two of the province’s most important fighting bull breeding farms are situated. Its location is unique in that it can be seen from the porch of the San Juan Bautista Parish Church. 

The bullring dates back to 1870 and was inaugurated on 20 June 1878 and rebuilt in 1942. The old bullring of the Sierra Norte of Seville is built of masonry, brick and wood and is polygonal in shape. The ring has a diameter of about 40 metres and has 4 bull pens, 1 stable, 1 corral for fighting cattle, an infirmary and a chapel.

Utrera’s Bullring was opened on 8 September 2010 to replace the old bullring known as “El Arrecife”.

This is a two hundred-year-old round bullring, with a projection containing the corrals for the fighting bulls. Built with earth, wood, lime and slate, it is located to the north of the town, in one of the most beautiful boulevards of the Sierra Norte of Seville. It has a first floor with the stalls and the boxes. It has bull pens, a concierge, a ticket office and an infirmary.

The current La Algaba Bullring was opened in 1991. It was reopened in 1996 with a bullfighting festival in which the renowned bullfighters Curro Romero, José Luis Parada, José Antonio Campuzano, Pepe Luis Vázquez and the apprentice bullfighter, José Manuel Rodríguez, performed. Years later, Curro Romero would also retire in this bullring at the end of the 2000 season.