The Marquises of Estepa founded the Convent in 1599 when one of their daughters entered the cloister.
The temple was founded later, in 1621. The 17th-century mural painting and the main altarpiece in Baroque-Solomonic-style are worthy of note. As is typical in a convent, it consists of a single nave covered by a half-barrel vault and an ante-chancel with a dome.
It has two entrances, namely, one from the street and another from the Convent’s courtyard. A tile panel of Saint Clare and the coat-of-arms of the Marquisate of Estepa and the Fernández de Córdoba family, and another of the Franciscan Order can be found on the wall above the street entrance.
Some parts of the Convent are occasionally open for visits, including the former bedrooms or kitchen and the hall with large torches axes and groin vaults.
The Poor Clare sisters not only live a contemplative life. They also make delicious sweet treats. Worthy of note among these are “tocinillo”, “bienmesabe”, almond curd and “crucetas”. They are all a must-try.