The St John Baptist Church is notable for its sheer size, robustness and beauty. It is located in the highest part of the village, on a hill that dominates a vast plain. A place of great strategic importance that has been inhabited since ancient times. This has been a defining element for the town.
Its construction dates back to the eighteenth century, amid an economic boom. This involved demolishing first the old Mudejar-style parish church that stood there, which, in turn, had been built on the site of the town’s old castle.
From an architectural point of view, it is the most remarkable building in the town. It rises above all other buildings. The building stands out for its superposition of volumes, including the sizeable main façade and the attached tower, or the gabled ceiling and the transept. The building is built in brick, masonry and rammed earth.
The main chapel has a large, neoclassical, polychrome wood altarpiece (1798-1802) imitating marble. It has three panels separated by double Corinthian columns and a semi-circular gable.
The original 18th-century, carved wooden doors from the time of the construction of the church have survived to this day. There are located at the choir (4), west end of the nave (4), Tabernacle Chapel (4), chancel on Epistle side (1), Presbytery (2), Sacristy (5) and Parish offices (3).