Santiponce Itálica

Heritage

An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Royal Pavilion

580
0

The Royal Pavilion is a building in the Plaza de América, south of the María Luisa Park in Seville. It was built in 1916 to be used as an exhibition centre for the 1929 Ibero-American Exhibition.

The Royal Pavilion is a clear example of historicist architecture, and is built like the other two mentioned for this square by the architect Aníbal González, commissioner of the Exhibition. Designed in memory of the Infanta Maria Luisa of Orleans for her donation to the town of most of the gardens in this park, which is named after her, it is built in a clear neo-Gothic style where there are a lot of ornamental details based on elements of carved brick and glazed ceramics.

Its external appearance clearly recalls the architecture of the late Gothic and early Plateresque in its sober walls inserting arches topped by splendid crests, where the ornamentation is reinforced.

With regard to the building as a whole, it is worth mentioning the meticulous carving of the brick, the work of the best artists of the moment such as José Roldán or Francisco Reyes, and the ceramic sections in which several of the most famous ceramic painters intervene, such as Gustavo Bacarisas, Manuel Rodríguez or Pérez de Tudela. The sculptor Antonio Bidón and the painter and decorator Manuel de la Cuesta, who designed the ceramic pieces for the admirable decoration of its façades, also took part in the event.

0 comments

New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.