The Royal Mint of Seville was one of the seven main mints in Castile authorised by the Catholic Monarchs. It was built in 1532 by Philip II and was the place where the gold and silver that came from the Indies was melted, and which later became frames and doubloons for the subsequent support of the European economy in the 16th century, the time of the conquerors of the New World.
Large amounts of these metals arrived in Seville from America between 1500 and 1717, as the town had an exclusive monopoly on goods coming from the New World. 200 people were employed due to this activity, becoming in charge of feeding the furnaces and running the foundry.
From this moment on, the old mint began to undergo a series of refurbishments, both internal and external, that would radically change its primitive structure and appearance, such as the one that took place in the 16th century, and another in the 18th century, when the large portal that makes up the main entrance, made by Sebastián Van der Borcht, was added; as well as another series of refurbishments in order to solve seepage and structural problems derived from the Lisbon earthquake of 1755.
In 1868, the Sevillian Mint lost its manufacturing function, after which it was divided into lots and sold to various individuals to become a residential area. At the end of the 20th century, it was decided to restore it, creating a building similar to what it was in its greatest era.
Crossing the Royal Mint on Havana Street takes us back to the Golden Age, not in vain it was one of the settings of the film Alatriste starring Viggo Mortensen.