This Mudejar-style temple was built in the early 15th century. In 1758, the pillars and pointed arches were replaced with Tuscan pillars and semi-circular arches. The side doors were opened at that time, and the tower was renovated. The three-nave temple is divided into five sections with a square-ended presbytery. The naves have half-point arches supported by Tuscan columns. The central nave is covered by a trough-like wooden structure, and the side naves have a hanging structure. They are in a good state of conservation and have a religious function. It was restored in 1993.
The main altarpiece contains several paintings by Juan del Castillo (the only paintings by this artist in Spain). They date from 1620 and represent Saint Jerome, Saint Ambrose, Saint Francis Xavier, Saint Augustine, the Virgin Mary and the Archangel Saint Gabriel. There is also an image of Our Lady of the Rosary, patron saint of Brenes. The town’s main festivals are held in her honour. The altarpiece itself is the work of Luis de Figueroa and Crisóstomo Antúnez (1620 to 1622).
The Tabernacle’s door is covered with a Spanish-Flemish image of the “Holy Face of Jesus” from the first half of the 16th century.
The church has two altarpieces: one with St Joseph, St Francis of Paula and St Diego of Alcalá from the first half of the 18th century; and the other with a painting of “Las Ánimas” and the Divine Shepherdess from the second half of the same century.
The altar to the “Cristo del Gran Poder” in the left nave is noteworthy. He is accompanied by the Our Lady of Bitterness, St Benedict Abbot and St Martha.
In the right nave is the True Cross, carved from orange wood, as well as Our Lady of Sorrows and Our Lady of Candles.