Santiponce Itálica

Heritage

An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Pavilions of the 1929 Ibero-American Exhibition

3196
0

The Ibero-American Exhibition took place in the Spanish city of Seville. It opened on 9 May 1929 and closed on 21 June 1930. It was held to showcase the twinning between Spain, Latin America, the United States, Portugal and Brazil.

The exhibition coincided with the 1929 Barcelona International Exhibition. Both were considered the General Spanish Exhibition

On the exhibition site, 117 buildings, of which 25 remain,were built (not including the villas and other small buildings). Since 2001, all the pavilions that have been preserved have been owned by the town council, although their use has been transferred to several bodies.

All the Latin American pavilions were located in the surroundings of the Maria Luisa Park. To the north of the park, the Plaza de España was built in the neoclassical style. To the south of the park, the Plaza de America was built. The Plaza de América was built over the old Huerto de la Mariana. Three Spanish pavilions were placed in this square and would be permanent: the Industrial and Decorative Arts pavilion, the Fine Arts pavilion and the Royal pavilion.

The Seville Pavilion was located on the gardens of the San Telmo Palace. This pavilion had an auditorium, which became the Teatro Lope de Vega, and an adjoining hall, which became the Casino de la Exposición.

The Plaza de España is crowned by the Spanish Pavilion for the 1929 Ibero-American Exhibition, also designed by Aníbal González. Made in regionalist style, although with Renaissance influences, it incorporates the traditional elements of forging, ceramics and exposed brick. It was the largest pavilion ever built.

Some of the pavilions of the Ibero-American Exhibition are still preserved and, although not all of them can be visited, they are the most incredible buildings that this Ibero-American Exhibition left us. Thanks to them, we can perceive the journey of the urban development legacy in Seville. Some of these pavilions in use are listed below: 

  • The Argentina's pavilion is the Dance Conservatory.
  • The Chile's pavilion, currently the School of Arts.
  • The Colombia's pavilion is still the property of the country as the consulate of Colombia.
  • The Cuba's pavilion is the headquarters of the Andalusian Agency for International Development Cooperation of the Andalusian Government. 
  • The Guatemala's pavilion is the Dance Conservatory.
  • The Brazil's Pavilion, the Uruguay's Pavilion and the Mexico's Pavilion are buildings of the University of Seville.
  • The United States' Pavilion. For years it remained a United States consulate until a few years ago, when it became a museum of contemporary art of the Valentín Madariaga Foundation.
  • The Peru's Pavilion is currently owned by the Spanish National Research Council.
  • The Chile's Pavilion houses the Chilean Consulate and the School of Applied Arts.
  • The Portugal's Pavilion has been maintained since then as a consulate of Portugal. 
  • The Santo Domingo's Pavilion is a municipal building.
  • The Domecq Pavilion is the headquarters of the Musical Youth.
  • Seville's Pavilion: Its auditorium is the Lope de Vega theatre. The hall next to it is a municipal space known as the Exhibition Casino.
  • The Morocco's Pavilion is the headquarters of the Municipal Service of Parks and Gardens together with the Santo Domingo's Pavilion, which is also a municipal building.
  • Telefónica's Pavilion. It is currently home to the Joaquín Romero Murube Gardening School and Environmental Studies Centre.
  • The Pavilion of the Ministry of the Navy is as of today the Command of the Navy.

0 comments

New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.