Santiponce Itálica

Heritage

An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Nuestra Señora de la Victoria Parish Church

85
1

The Nuestra Señora de la Victoria Parish Church was initially the church of the Convent of the Minim Friars of St Francis of Paola. 

The building, founded in 1549, was initially located outside the city at Las Canteras, at the end of Cañada Street. Following the Council of Trent, the convents were moved to urban centres. The Minim friars built a new building in the early 17th century that was extensively renovated in the 18th century. The portal at the west end of the church consists of a semi-circular arch. The 18th-century image of Our Lady of Victory presides over the main altar from her niche. 

The single-nave temple with several chapels between buttresses is covered by barrel vaults decorated with Serlian plasterwork. The transept is crowned by a dome on pendentives. 

The church holds sculptural masterpieces. The high altarpiece, one of the most awe-inspiring in Osuna, holds the Child Jesus by José Risueño. The side chapels are home to the splendid statue of Our Lady of Sorrow by José de Mora from Granada. Our Lord Jesus the Nazarene, attributed to the School of Roldán, and Our Lady of Anguish.

Opening times

Monday - Saturday: 18:30 - 21:00 (Mass 20:00)
Sunday: 11:00 - 13:00 (Mass 12:00) and 18:00 - 20:00 (Mass 19:00)
 

0 comments

New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.